Sunday, August 15, 2010

Ms. Orange and Mr. Yellow

Field work this summer continues to physically challenging with the heat and humidity. The unofficial drought has turned soil into powder and many wetlands into deserts. Leaves are dropping or turning yellow on more and more trees. Drought sensitive plants are withered and brown. My recent field outing had taken me to an area that was flooded and I was unaccustomed to walking in deep water. It had been so long since I've seen so much water. I need to regain my sea and muck legs.

In my journeys, I stumbled separately onto these two box turtles. Both were brilliantly and unusually colored. At this time of year with the vegetation so high, I really mean stumble. At times while walking, I feel like I could be absorbed by plants at any second. The vines could twist around my ankles and take me down.

No comments: