Sunday, February 22, 2009

Owl paparazzi


A couple rare owls have been roosting along a dead end road not that far from my house. Even if it was the common great horned owl, I'd be checking it out since seeing owls are not a common experience for me. The owls hang out in evergreen trees literally along the road. You don't even have to get your feet dirty. The first I checked them out I was only there for like 15 minutes and two cars drove up and joined in the fun. As I was leaving, I could see that two kids from the second car were running full speed towards the owls. I was cringing at what the owls must have thought. I was sure they would fly off and that would be the end of the owl show. But when I went by today, they were still there in the same tree. The bf and I were mulling about in the road mostly gawking at the obscenely slow car show that was going on. A mercedes was driving at like 1 mph with two cars behind it. One car ran out of patience and passed it. The other car suffered behind it. Finally the mercedes was at us. I expected a "Hey. Do you know where the owls are?" type chat. Nope it was "I shouldn't have to tell you but you shouldn't walking around by the owls. You should only observe them from your car." The bf and I really had no response since there's no reasoning with the insane. The bf and I were being respectful, quiet, and gave the owls their space except for the couple quick photo shots. Plus if the owls were so upset, then it was easy enough for them to fly off or move away from the road. Then the mercedes popped it in reverse and was about to ram the car behind it. The long suffering car behind it finally had enough and passed it. We headed back to the car and watched the benz turn around and head back again at 1 mph. We saw one of the following cars had parked so we joined them. We comiserated on the insane benz antics.

Both outings had troublesome weather conditions. High winds on day one for the pic below. But I think it came out kind of cool. The top pic was during the rain on day two.


2 comments:

suntawrites said...

Insane benz antics is saying it lightly! Owls are amazing, aren't they! What an interesting post - thank you for sharing...

Colleen said...

Jeez, those owls are popular!